Blogger's Vs Haloscan's Commenting System
Sunday, February 20, 2005
I made some changes to Living Gem - included the Blogger commenting system in addition to my existing Haloscan one (*smacks self* - regret taking away the original Blogger's commenting system in the first place). My decision to include Blogger's version was initiated after reading Mdmafia's recent posts - where she expressed concern over her missing old comments. Personally, comments on my blog mean alot to me - I believe the same applies to most bloggers out there. In case you haven't known, Haloscan archives your comments for posts older than 4 months. You won't be able to see them unless you make some payment - in form of donations (and your account will be upgraded). I'm not sure of the amount, you can visit Haloscan's site for more info.

This is nothing new, I think. It is not a recent policy-change whatsoever. I think it has been like that all along. It is only me who learnt about it just over a fortnight ago (5xmom also mentioned it in her Feb 10 post). Being the ultra-freeloader that I am, I do not make online transactions - Heck, I don't even have my own credit card. Also, Haloscan displays "(0) Comments" for older posts (not as old as 4 months lah - Cuz that'd warrant archiving already), even though there are comments. You may still click on "(0) Comments" to view the comments. Now you see, there's no free lunch in this world. As freeloaders, we've to constantly seek alternatives :p

I don't know if Blogger's commenting system is the perfect choice - Cuz I don't know whether they archive comments (like the Haloscan guys do) or not. Anyone, don't mind, share some info, please? I know there're other commenting systems out there, but somehow Blogger's seemed to be my first obvious alternative. I spent the last hour modifying the code, adding tags and checking for XHTML validity. I am still keeping my Haloscan commenting system, cuz I don't wanna lose the old comments *yet*. Right now, it remains a choice: You take your pick (if you intend to drop a comment, that is).

Buying my own domain and webspace is not feasible - Like I said, I'm credit card-less. Besides, I'm not some big-time, fulltime blogger. Blogging is just my pastime. By the way, Blogger's commenting system isn't at all bad - In fact, it's so darn cool that it allows a pop-up comment window, similar to Haloscan's. It also allows profile pictures to be displayed, one for each Blogger commentor. I saw Buaya's profile pic in one of the blogs I read, it was an animated "69", next to the comment he made. IMHO, the Blogger guys (aka the Google guys?) are edging Haloscan already. Next up, perhaps a Trackback feature by Blogger as well?

If you haven't noticed how cool Blogger's commenting system is now (a recent upgrade, actually), try it!
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
Home
previously
contact
  • profile
  • Y!: narrowband23
  • Syndicate this site
references
reads
credits
  • Content 漏